An Energy Efficient Home

by Notorious Spinks on 07.31.2012

A dream of mine is to buy a few acres of land and build my dream home.  This has always been my dream. There is just something about getting to design every aspect of my home.  Control freak… However, the number one prerequisite for my dream home is that it must be energy-efficient.  I will not go into my spill about global warming being real but I am convinced that our (humanity) frivolous lifestyles are catching up with us.

Over the years, green living has become important to me.  I recycle everything that can be recycled, I try to avoid buying items in containers that are not recyclable in my area and I follow the tips issued by my utility company on saving energy.  For example, I cut off lights when I am not in the room, I unplug things when I am not using them and I get household items regularly serviced.  Although I can barely tell by looking at my utility bill I still try to save. But I must admit, I know that much of it has to do with the record-breaking heat that the summer has brought with it.

One of my usual activities to create motivation is to browse online at concepts for my dream home. This week I came across solar panels from Dulas.  They have a neat chart on their website that breaks down how solar panels work.

Solar panels from Dula

I knew that solar panels produced energy from the sunrays but the chart broke down how energy is imported into the home while the unused portion is exported out to the grid.  I am assuming that the utility company purchases the exported energy.  This is genius and not to mention that they will owe me money for a chance.

Do you have solar panels installed on your home?  Have you considered upgrading your home to make it more energy efficient?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Joel November 28, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Great inspiring post, I hope it encourages others to want to get solar panels installed on their house or encourage them to be more energy efficient. Solar panels have come a long way, there are also ones now that move with the suns rays to create even more energy.

Billie September 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I hope to add some solar panels to my house at some point, but in the meantime I can make smaller changes.

Leilani August 26, 2012 at 1:07 am

If I ever win the lottery and could afford to buy a house in the SF Bay Area, you can bet your bottom I’m going to shell out the cash for some solar panels. My husband and I talk about it all the time. I’m surprised more people don’t do it.

Donna August 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm

We’ve thought about solar panels, too.

Anne - Mommy Has to Work August 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

My dream home would have these as well. I’m glad to know they are becoming more afordable!

Billie August 19, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I think it would be so cool to have solar panels and be more energy efficient.

Marcie W. August 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm

We don’t have solar panels but our entire house is Energy Star so it’s more energy efficient. We really notice a difference in the summer when our 83 degree living room feels the same as a friend’s 78 degree home.

Virginia from That Bald Chick August 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm

We would love to go solar.

Monique (@MamaRvThereYet) August 9, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I would love to be able to add solar panels to my (future) RV. It’s on my list! And for my bricks and sticks house, I want a metal roof. They say you haven’t slept until you’ve slept under a metal roof.

Theresa August 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I would love to have an energy efficient home someday as well!

A Time Out for Mommy- Elaina August 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I’ve been thinking about solar panels at the beach house.. I think it would be very cost effective!

Stefanie August 8, 2012 at 8:55 pm

No we don’t — our utilities aren’t too bad since half our home is gas. We do have energy efficient appliances.

Tammy August 8, 2012 at 8:32 am

I just paid my electric bill and it was super high. The high temperatures have been unreal.

Ty @ Mama of 3 Munchkins August 8, 2012 at 12:49 am

I’ve considered getting solar panels for our home, but it just wasn’t in our budget. Hopefully, next year, things will change.

Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy August 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I’ve thought about solar panels since I do live in Texas, but I’m not sure I want these huge panels on my roof.

Previous post: