Getting Your Kids To Try New Foods

by Notorious Spinks on 10.30.2012

Kids learn to love sugary and un-healthy foods at a very young age. Parents find it hard to get them to eat anything healthy. They often run away from healthy foods like vegetables, fish etc. Every parent wants their kids to eat something healthy. Today, you’ll learn how to increase the taste-buds of your kids beyond the food-groups they love.

Don’t rush new foods

Kids are new-food photic. You should experiment healthy meals on them at the right time. Take it slow. Don’t force your kid in eating something new or healthy. If he/she says no, then wait for another day or two rather than trying again at the same time. You can also tell them their favorite cartoon or movie character eats the same food, and it may inspire them to eat the meal as well.

Focus on a food group that has variety

There are certain good groups that don’t allow you to make healthy meals in variety. However, food groups like sea food and vegetables can give you a lot of options to try out. For example, tuna vegetable pasta can be made, since kids like eating pasta.

Involve the kids in their school lunch

If you know how to make easy lunches, you can always involve your children in the meal preparation. They are more interested in eating the lunch they created themselves. Give them healthy fruit and vegetable options for the ingredients, and let them mix these ingredients themselves.

Explain them the benefits of healthy foods

If by some chance your kid listens to you while you explain them the benefit of eating healthy foods, he/she may change their heating habits to make you proud as a parent. Try to make it seem that you are overly in love with a certain kind of food so that your child will want to eat the same thing. Although there is a high chance that this is not going to work, you can always give it a try.

Promise your kids treats

You can always try to promise your kids a treat. For example, you can promise them their favorite chocolate ice cream if they properly finish off their tuna sandwich every day. This is going to motivate the kids to eat the sandwich, as they would have something to look forward to.

Act as a role model

You can always be the role model for your children. When they look at your healthy eating habits, they are likely to wonder why my Dad or Mom always eats that particular meal. They may start eating the meals themselves.

These are some of the ways you can incorporate healthy meals in the diet of your children.

How do you get your kids to eat healthy meals?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 33 comments… read them below or add one }

Anne - Mommy Has to Work January 28, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I try and give the kids something different every other week.

Mumseword November 5, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Role Modeling with loads of “hmmm yummy” works in our family!

A Time Out for Mommy- Elaina November 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Great tips!

Marcie W. November 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Great tips! I’m lucky enough to have three pretty darn good eaters!

Mom Foodie November 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Mine used to be game for anything. Now, she does eat mostly healthy stuff, but I have a hard time getting her to try new things. I have to sort of leave them out, and let her decide to go & investigate.

Toni November 5, 2012 at 4:17 am

We just always make ours try everything each dinner.

Shell Fruscione November 5, 2012 at 1:56 am

Thank you for the tips! My son is definitely a picky eater so we can use all of the advice we can get!

Christa November 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm

We started introducing lots of different foods to Mason when he was little and we don’t have too much of a hard time getting him to eat healthy foods.

We sorta do the treats thing. He loves chicken so we make him eat his veggies and then he can have the meats/sides. It works well.

Kathy November 4, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I hide them in foods that they will eat!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies November 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm

It’s so important to get your kids to try new foods. I wish I had done that when I was a kid–I still haven’t tried raw tomatoes or avocado!

Tricia Nightowlmama November 4, 2012 at 12:51 am

great tips thanks for sharing. My kids are stubborn and nothing works

Stefani November 4, 2012 at 12:51 am

Sometimes you just got to sneak it in their foods before they notice. I add spinach to my cheese filling in my lasagna and they haven’t asked what it is yet.

Emily @FamilyNLifeLV November 4, 2012 at 12:20 am

Eating what I expect my son to eat helps, and cooking together.

Leilani November 4, 2012 at 12:18 am

My 3yo is a very picky eater. My 2yo will try anything and everything.

Theresa November 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Great points!

Jennifer H November 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm

these are some good points!

Ty @ Mama of 3 Munchkins November 3, 2012 at 2:02 am

Thanks for the wonderful tips!

rachel @ Following In My Shoes November 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Great tips — we try to model as much as we can!

Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy November 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm

By making my children a bento style lunch, I’ve been able to get them to eat foods they wouldn’t normally eat.

Jenn @therebelchick November 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm

LOL I am all for promising treats – I once promised to let kiddo skydive if she tried calamari. I’m hoping she changes her mind by the time she turns 18 and is legally allowed to do it…

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving November 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I know that when kids get involved and help grow their food, they are more likely to eat it. Great tips.

Sheri November 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

This is such a challenge in our house. Thanks for the tips.

Maryann November 2, 2012 at 8:44 am

This is so important to me. Real food is how our whole family needs to live and eat and grow. Because of my son’s autism and our efforts to recover him we have learned a lot about nutrition and how toxins in our foods can harm our bodies. We eat organic, non-processed foods most of the time. But you are right, they can have treats sometimes, and sometimes those can be the junk as long as it isn’t a staple.

Jennifer November 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm

These are great tips. I dont think they’d really work for my 2 year old though

Penelope (NYC Blogger) November 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

My son is picky and no old enough to explain all this yet (

Jenn October 31, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Bribing with treats is working somewhat for our 2 year old. I don’t feel a bit guilty about it!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell October 31, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I never even pushed this issue. I would expose them to new foods but leave it to them to try them or not. Must have worked because both of them are FAR more experimental than I will ever be.

Dee @ Cocktails with Mom October 31, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Getting kids to try new foods is not easy for sure. Thankfully mine are not all that resitant.

HilLesha October 31, 2012 at 9:30 am

I even have a hard time trying out new food, lol. And I love Monique’s response. This is how I am with my son. He is such a picky eater. :)

Anne - Mommy Has to Work October 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

It’s not easy that’s for sure!

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom October 30, 2012 at 11:47 am

Our rule is that our daughter has to try one bite of anything that we give to her. After that she can make up her own decision. That doesn’t mean we won’t keep trying with the same foods, but the next time I’ll try to present it in a more appealing way that she either won’t notice (hidden in a muffin or pasta) or in a creative shape or presentation.

Vanessa: the queen of swag ! October 30, 2012 at 11:03 am

great tips!

Monique Burkes (@armsofasister) October 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

I just don’t give them choices. They eat what I cook, or they don’t eat. Now I’m not a monster – I try to make meals that taste good and are healthy, but they don’t get choices once I’ve made the meal.

Previous post: