Preparing for Christmas with Old Memories

by Notorious Spinks on 11.15.2012

Decorating the Tree for Christmas

Can you believe that Christmas is almost here?  Have you started prepping your Christmas decorations, untangling the lights and choosing the perfect outfit for your family holiday photos?  Well I have!

Recently I was cleaning out my mom’s junk room and I found about 12 boxes of Christmas decorations.  While looking through the boxes, I remembered how festive the holiday season seemed in our home when I was a child.  My mom always seemed happy cooking her signature caramel and German chocolate cake.

Of course, I was happy with the variety of Christmas tree decorations I decorated the tree with.  Then… my mom would come behind me and redecorate the tree.  LOL!  I’m not saying it was bad, but let’s just say that this left hand and I had a funny way of lining things up.  Yep, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Now that my mom is gone, I realized that in the past I didn’t really decorate for the holidays because my mom and my siblings always did.  Decorating just wasn’t my thing.  However, this year I find myself wanting to start my own tradition.  This will be my second Christmas without my mom and some days it still doesn’t seem real…yes I know it is though.  Some days I’m okay, others I’m sad and then there are those days I’m just mad.

Through the emotions, I have looked at Christmas trees.  I’m still not sure how tall I want the Christmas tree but I already have all the decorations for it and that’s a good thing.  While looking through those boxes, I was even surprised that my mom still had our star from when I was like in elementary school.  Yes, that long.

Although my mom is gone, I’m looking forward to decorating the Christmas tree while listening to my Christmas music and sipping my eggnog … the grown people kind that is.  I’m sure I’ll cry and I might even sing off-key, but most of all I’ll have my memories of Christmas and boxes of Christmas tree decorations to keep me company and I’m okay with that.

Now let me go untangle these lights…don’t you just hate that part?

What are you looking forward to this Christmas?  Does your family have any traditions?

*This is a sponsored post but all but the content is 100% true.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 35 comments… read them below or add one }

Tricia Nightowlmama November 28, 2012 at 12:21 am

I could never imagine. Huge hugs to you and have fun decorating remembering your moms traditions may help bring her memory closer to you

Stefani November 26, 2012 at 1:23 am

I hope you find a pretty tree and have fun decorating!

Sheila November 24, 2012 at 8:44 am

My Mom is gone as well, and the Holidays will never be the same. She loved Christmas and decorated her whole house every year. Me, I don’t have time to decorate much, so just put lights on a tree that I have up year round (I decorate my home in lodge) and leave it at that.

Kathleen November 23, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I am so sorry about your mom. I feel the same way since I love my dad a few days after Christmas in 2005. I hope you can have a great holiday season.

Toni November 23, 2012 at 9:58 am

I love time spent with family and friends.

Jenn November 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hope you find the perfect tree! I know you’ll make it beautiful.

A Time Out for Mommy- Elaina November 19, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I love that each year we are making memories with our daughters

Marcie W. November 19, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I can not wait to break out all of our festive gear this weekend! It is my absolute favorite time of the year.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell November 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm

The memories last forever and it’s wonderful to pull the ornaments out each year and relive so many of them. :)

Donna November 19, 2012 at 10:33 am

I actually put up my tree last night. I will be going out of town for Thanksgiving, and I wanted to come back home and have it already done. :)

Rachel @ Following In My Shoes November 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I can’t imagine how difficult holidays are — big hugs, girl. But, I’m glad you have her decorations to help you feel her and conjure specific memories during this time of year.

Maureen @ Wisconsin Mommy November 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’m looking forward to Christmas brunch – we relax after all the gifts are open and just spend time with family.

Toni November 18, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I am looking forward to getting to spend time with family who don’t get to come down often.

Anne - Mommy Has to Work November 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

I have a ton of traditions! As for the tree, we get a real one, but I’d love not to this year. They make a mess!

Stefani November 18, 2012 at 12:35 am

I can’t wait until I can use regular glass decorations. The last couple years we had to use plastic because of my son and the cat and dog.

Tricia Nightowlmama November 17, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Im buying a new Christmas tree this year i’m tired of tangled lights

Sheila November 17, 2012 at 11:52 am

I used to love Christmas, but since my son is older and members of the family are missing it isn’t what it used to be. Still look forward to it, but the holiday cheer is not always there.

A Time Out for Mommy- Elaina November 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm

HUGS! It;s so hard to celebrate the holidays when some loved ones are no longer with us..

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:40 am

Thanks Elaina.

Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I posted on my own blog about our start of the season traditions–it was actually fun to create that post!

I don’t even know where all my Christmas stuff is, we moved so many times last year that I have no clue where decorations would be. I do know that we need to purchase all new lights this year, we sold all out lights last year at a yard sale. My husband wants all LED lights anyway.

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:46 am

Glad you all are making new traditions this year.

Jennifer November 16, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Again, I’m so sorry for your loss. Any holiday after a loved one passes away is hard but it hurts more when it was their favorite holiday.
I love decorating but my hubby doesn’t so much but hopefully one of these years I’ll convince him it’s awesome

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:42 am

Thanks Jennifer. LOL! Good luck with convincing him.

tatiana November 16, 2012 at 11:34 am

I use to go visit my Nana , aunt and uncle in Ct every year. But since my Nana’s passing in 2008 its just me & my daughters in Nc. I truly enjoy the time I have with my daughters and mom. But its like a part is me is missing without the other family members in Ct.

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:45 am

Awwww. I’m sorry to hear that. Have you tried Skyping with them? I hope you get home to see them soon. ((Hugs))

Jenn @therebelchick November 16, 2012 at 7:00 am

Big hugs, I know the holidays are so difficult after losing a loved one!

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:45 am

Thanks Jenn!

Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy November 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm

My hubby does a majority of the decorating. He’s better at than I am so I let him have at it.

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:39 am

Lucky you!

Sheri November 15, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I’m looking forward to our trip to Disney in December, and to the family time.

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:35 am

Disney in December. Now this is going to be fun.

Mellisa November 15, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I love Christmas and I am really looking forward to it this year. One of our traditions is to let each child open 1 gift on Christmas Eve night. My parents did this with me and now I do it with my kids.

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:38 am

Usually my mom all the kids and grand kids would get together on Christmas Eve and exchange gifts but I no longer have a relationship with my siblings so it’s time to make my own traditions.

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving November 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

My husband and I have been terrible about decorating for the holidays but now as parents we really try to be more festive. That is a lot of Christmas decorations :)

Notorious Spinks November 17, 2012 at 12:36 am

IKR. I need to pack some up and send them to you. LOL!

Previous post: